Monday, October 10, 2011

Raiders Coach Hue Jackson reflects on Al Davis



For 24 years Hue Jackson was an assistant football coach.  In January Jackson was named Head Coach for the Oakland Raiders.  Jackson is the second African American Head Coach that has been hired by Al Davis the Owner and General Manager for the Raiders.  On Saturday Davis pass away at his home in Oakland while. the team traveled to Houston on Friday night to prepare for the Texans.

Davis is one of the most recognizable owners in the NFL.  Davis has established phases like, “Commitment to Excellence”, and “Just Win Baby”.  Davis has always been considered a Rebel among the NFL Team owners.  Davis is the only owner who abstained from voting to end the NFL lockout earlier this year.  Davis was not a stranger to going against the grain. Davis Hired Art Shell as his Head Coach in 1988 when no other team who hire a African American as their coach.

Davis has held every position in football from position from position coach to Commissioner of the American Football League before they merged with the NFL in 1966.  Davis has always been an advocate for diversity in the NFL not only in coaching, but throughout the entire organization.  The following is Coach Jackson’s thoughts on Davis following his team’s win over the Texans:

He(Davis)  would be happy because we won the game and I have to thank my players and one thing that is truly becoming evident is that our players are beginning to believe if you playing and working at it good things are going to happen so I am very happy for the young men, the other day was a tough day but I can see the gleam in their eyes, they were not going to stop fighting   and we truly and honestly believe that Coach(Davis) is with us today I believe that whole heartedly, but I have people I can lean on Amy Trask, Mark Davis and Eddie Anderson  are people who are my confidants that I can trust and they have been there for me and all the said were Just Win Baby, and that is what we did today.

The emotions I felt before the game, I did not want to talk too much.  I thought we just needed to play. The game was up and down the defense fought their tails off we couldn’t find a way to make a play in the first half and we just kept at it kept searching.  One thing Coach always taught me, don’t believe in plays believe in players that eventually players will make plays that is what we did.   I could hear him saying that to me the whole time. Believe in your players and not the plays we would give it to Darren (McFadden), and Darren starts to make a few plays here and there and things started to change and again we have got some work to do and we understand that, but to be 3-2 and headed home for 3 games 3 big games at the O for our fans and an opportunity to keep getting better there is none like it.

Today is a great for the Raiders all across the world sad day yesterday but I want everybody to know that I know without a shadow of doubt that Coach is somewhere up there rejoicing for this football team did what he said to always do, commitment to excellence, pride and poise, and just win.  This is Coach Davis’ football team and I am getting a chance to run it.  I have listened to him on so many occasions about our players on what they can and can’t do and that’s going to be my guiding light for the rest of the season.  Mr. Davis pushes me to be great, even today. 


No comments:

Post a Comment